Hoods and Enclosures for Lab Automation Systems
Working in close collaboration, Biosero has developed a series of four biocontainment enclosures designed specifically to house automatic liquid handling robotics systems. Designed by the originator of the first commercialized Class II Biological Safety Cabinet in the 1960’s, the robotics enclosures incorporate the experience gained from over 100,000 Class II Biological Safety Cabinet installations worldwide.
These enclosures are specifically designed to provide optimum personnel and environmental protection from aerosols and particulate associated with the use of automatic liquid handling systems. All exhaust air is completely HEPA filtered. In addition, the interior of the enclosure is completely bathed in unidirectional, non-turbulent HEPA filtered air offering product protection and an aseptic work environment meeting or exceeding ISO Class 5 conditions.
Features and Specifications
- Enclosures are designed in modular fashion. After assembly and performance are verified at the factory, they can be disassembled and reassembled in the laboratory. All components are designed to fit through a 36” wide door frame.
- Frames are built utilizing a heavy gauge steel tube structure with a rugged baked on powder coat paint finish.
- The interior work area is completely visible from all four sides. Viewing windows are fabricated using 3/8” thick mar resistant polycarbonate sheet.
- Enclosures are supported on heavy duty leveling casters so they can be easily moved and positioned within the laboratory.
- The interior work surface is fabricated using a thick, chemically resistant high impact laminate.
- Enclosure supply air is introduced through a number of 2’x4’ HEPA filtered modules that sit on the ceiling framework. The modules are sized and maximized dependent upon the overall size of the enclosure. A specially designed stainless steel perforated diffuser is placed under the fan filter modules to manage the unidirectional airflow and prevent turbulence.
- A HEPA filtered exhaust system is located under the work surface. All air exiting the cabinet is HEPA filtered, providing personnel and environmental protection from particulate.
- 8” sliding sash opening at the front to provide access for routine maintenance while maintaining containment.
- In the same fashion as a traditional Class II Biological Safety Cabinet, intake air velocity through the sash opening is 100 FPM.
- The enclosure’s airflow is 100% exhausted.
- Interior air cleanliness is ISO class 5 or better.
- Microbiologically aerosol challenged to validate the design and ensure it meets personnel and product protection in accordance with the NSF-49 protocol for Class II Biological Safety Cabinetry.
- The front viewing window is hinged and can be completely opened to load the enclosure.
- Fluorescent lighting system to illuminate the interior work area. Bulbs can be replaced from outside the enclosure. An on/off switch is located on the enclosure control panel.
- System will be provided with a digital magnahelic gauge to monitor and display operating pressures. Audible and visual alarms are included to indicate an unsafe condition.
- Standard enclosures are supplied with two 115 volt duplex outlets. Additional outlets and electrical configurations can be added to meet user requirements.
Standard Model Sizes
|Model||Usable Work Area||Height|
|5ft||46 1/2” x 46 1/2”||45 1/8”|
|7ft||84 7/8” x 46 1/2”||45 1/8”|
|10ft||114 7/8” x 46 1/2”||45 1/8”|
|12ft||143 3/8” x 46 1/2”||45 1/8”|